My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas

oh, I'm still making art in the urban forest

Friday, March 24, 2006

I Love Texas Weather

.....and how it changes and how every year we talk about how weird it is THIS year....but it's so GREAT, you know? I've had whole relationships fall apart over weather. It's too hot, it's too cold, it's too humid, it's too dry, it rains too much, it doesn't rain enough. Texas this, Texas that. OHHHH, but Nevada is so THIS, New Mexico is so THAT. When my last boyfriend departed this time last year I wanted to say, Hey, if you hate it that much here, quitcher bitchin and MOVE. You want sun and 75 degrees ALL the time? Move to Southern California and shut up. But I didn't cause I'm no good at confrontation.

I love Texas weather. I love it that this mid-February we hit a couple 90 degree days, but last February 14 it snowed several inches. I love it that last night's 30 degreees was a record low for a late March night. I didn't exactly appreciate the drought or the wildfires but I loved the 9-inch rains last weekend. I don't know if it's God or global warming or just Texas. I love the shifts, the differences, the surprises, that this year there was no winter until this week, that last year it got too hot too early and we got lousy tomatoes.

It was so cold last night, I coughed and sniffed, hugged the dogs to stay warm. I hurried to light the Dearborns early this morning, then had to back up the alley, having forgotten to turn them off before I drove away. For all I know I'll have to blow out the air conditioner filter tomorrow.

I love Texas. I love Texas weather. I'm in a metabopausal mood. I refuse to listen to anti-weather, anti-mexican, anti-Texas talk. I am slightly ballistic. Tomorrow I'm setting tomatoes and basil and fighting termites. Just don't EVEN fuck with me. There's so little I can hold onto in this world. My kids, when they're not too busy growing up and having their own lives. My dogs, all the time. And the inevitability of changing Texas weather. This I can count on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy Spiegel said...

I may not love Texas weather, but I love this piece !!!

26/3/06 10:03 AM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

I love this too. Although wasn't too crazy about the 9-inch rain since it came into my house! But I like your spunk m'lady. ;-)

27/3/06 4:00 AM  
Blogger Eye said...

The joy of Texas. We get a lot of extreme weather, but living here is extremely good...and NEVER boring.

30/3/06 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home